Wednesday 16 November 2016

Stings and shorts

The first sting I have chosen is very simple but gave me an idea I could use with my project. The animation shows shapes moving in and out of a solid object, I could make the animations from my book leave the page and escape their surroundings. The escape would fit in with the narrative of the book and work well as a sting.This animation has no narrative, fairly simple sequential thinking and composition. The pace of movement in this sting is very fast, I will need to carefully consider the speed of movement of the characters from my book. I want the pace and movements to match the tone and narrative of the scene, I want the characters movements to seem real, I want to try and create a feeling of empathy with my characters situation. I will also need to find music that ties in to the narrative.


My second choice is an animated short based on the tv series 'The Wire'. The animation plays with perspective and scale through clever transitions . The pace of movement of the characters changes throughout as the animation switches between different scenes but a constant series of transitions maintain a fast pace throughout. I would like to know how to create transitions in this way with 'camera ' movements, I know that there are camera controls but have no idea how to use them. The narrative sums up 'The Wire' showcasing characters and themes that are the focal points of the series. This short was made as a homage to the series but just as easily be used as an advert for it. The animation contains imagery that fits within the narrative and seems to make sense at face value but many of these are direct references that will be even more appealing to people already familiar with the series. The ever changing scale and perspective makes this animation intriguing and kept my eyes glued to it the entire time. I think these transitions could easily become confusing if not used properly. How do you balance complex animation that keeps the viewers attention as they try to decipher each movement and transition without it becoming a bombardment of confusing information.

The Wire

My third choice combines animation and live action footage, this interests me because the theme of my book is the character escaping between worlds to try and find peace. The animator manages to make the two elements work as one with timing and movement. I could try create interactions between the character in my book and someone reading it. This could be too complex to complete in the time but I would at least like to find out how to do it. The compositions are complex with lots of separate moving parts, if I was to use this technique I would maybe have one character climbing out of the book and some small movements in the book like trees blowing in the wind. because this is a music video there is no strong narrative, the animation embellishes the live action.

Cool Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment