Saturday 5 November 2016

Ogres and Printing



I have tried a few different ways of illustrating the ogre for my book, I like the silhouette as it fits with the simplicity of the rest of the composition. I want to work more on the posture and form of the gore to try and use it to capture the tone and emotion of the narrative as well as possible with the least detail. the main thing I am struggling with at the moment is trying to make it clear that the character is an ogre without adding extra colours or complex details. I tried adding teeth and other facial feature but detract from the eyes. the character does not have to be an ogre, I could experiment more with scale and make the main character a giant, for the narrative to work I need the main character to be well known easily recognisable fantasy character. I thought about other monsters or demons but they have too many negative connotations or a basis in religion that could change alter the narrative.
Ogre's and giants have often been the 'bad guys' in stories but are usually being controlled by someone else.

I spoke to a friend that runs a screen printing company about the colours I wanted to produce using overprinting. he said that it could be possible and that he knows a screen printers that work from dark to light even though it is not the most common method. He also suggested angling the Squeegee to make the layer of ink thicker or thinner depending on the angle. The more upright the squeegee the less ink will be applied. Another way I could have more control over colours is doubling on selected layers to create variations in tone. He told me to play with these techniques to see what best suites my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment