Thursday 3 November 2016

Adrian Mole Cover



I started my research by looking at the previous book covers of The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 to get an idea of what the publishers look for. That being said none of the cover I found look anything like my work., which I think could be an advantage for me as I could offer something different. One good sign is that the previous cover are varied in style and composition suggesting that the publishers are open minded. The book was originally published in 1982 and some of the earlier covers are what I would consider typical children's fiction of that time, with loose sketched characters and bold colours. By contrast the later editions, for example the 30th anniversary, have a more minimal cover in terms illustration and place greater emphasis of type. The more recent covers look more refined with a limited colour palette and balanced composition. They have become less cluttered and possibly more grown up. This could be down to a change in the target audience of the book or that the covers represent the magnitude of the books success and have become more serious over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment