Wednesday 9 November 2016

Illustration Friday 2


I have just submitted my illustration for Illustration Friday. I completely changed the process from my original piece. The main problems I wanted to address were the fact that both the dumplings and the basket were not clearly illustrated and so made the image confusing. I am happy that The changes I have made have made sure the image is now clear and that it fits the 'word of the week'. I went back to processes I have used a lot in the past using Illustrator to digitally colour line made using fine liner pens. Doing this highlighted to me the changes in my work and the way I look at my illustrations. The line work that I live traced in Illustrator is half way between digital and hand drawn in aesthetic and loses some of the benefits of both. Sharp, 'perfect' line work when used well can create an appealing aesthetic, The way I create my line work at this point is still clearly hand drawn but without any movement or texture. I use thinner pens to build up line work so even if the lines are free flowing at first they lose some of that quality as a shape them. I have drawn like this for years and need to move and not fall back into this habit.



I have worked on briefs before but no in this context, I have done a lot of live artwork displays using spray paint form youth workshops to festivals. The competition format of these briefs is something completely new to me and I think maybe makes me look at my work in ways that I shouldn't. I feel myself going back to towards trying to create an 'impressive' image, concentrating on technical skills rather than ideas and communication. I need to stay focussed on my practice and use these briefs to benefit my development without adding any unnecessary pressure. I still feel positive about other larger briefs and want to get stuck into the penguin books brief next. I think the key will be to focus on research and idea generating processes like roughing and brainstorming. It is tempting to rush into a brief and try to get it done but I would rather complete one or two briefs creating multiple outcomes for each and feel I have put my all into it than try and get as many done as possible without fully exploring the subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment