Tuesday 8 November 2016

Illustration Friday


I decided to look at this weeks Illustration Friday brief as a way to warm up for larger competition briefs. the word of the week is 'STEAM'. I thought about steam punk or steam engines but thought they would be ideas used by a lot of people entering the competition. I thought about steamed up glass and the interesting compositions I could make with reflections and textures.
I tried to think of ideas with funny images that create juxtapositions between two common associations with steam like saunas and steamed vegetables, broccoli in a sauna. I tried out some roughs but wasn't happy with my compositions but the idea of steamed food led me to think of dim sum, the steamed buns and the bamboo basket they are cooked and served in. They are quite often made in the shape of animals or characters.






I thought about making the dim sum appear as if they were having a nice relaxing sauna and being interrupted by the lid of the basket being removed by a hungry 'giant'. This reminded me of how food is illustrated in Studio Ghibli animations, I think the cartoony aesthetic would suite the narrative. I started to work on an illustration with cut and torn paper as it is a process I have being using for another brief that has the constraint of limited colours. I wanted to see how the aesthetic would transfer to a more vibrant colourful design. I am not happy with it but think I need to spend more time on composition and refining characters. I think the process will work well with more colour if I take more care in planning.


I don't think it is clear enough that they are dumplings or that they are in a bamboo basket. The image is confused at the moment and needs a lot more work. I am going to try out more processes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment