Friday 11 November 2016

Concertina

I put together the images for my concertina book, I changed the order of a couple of the pages to help the composition flow. I don't think these changes will effect the narrative of the book as the middle pages are made up of failed attempts at escapism by the Ogre character. I now need to start to look at the technical aspects of making the book, there a few options I could try-

-Printing each page separately using screen or lino printing them arranging them digitally and printing them on one sheet of paper.
-Screen printing the book in two parts, this would mean making my page size smaller and creating a hinge in the centre of the book. It would also be difficult to line up the layers of the screen print accurately.
-Printing all the pages separately and making hinges between each page.

At this moment I favour the first approach. My work needs texture as at the moment the images are made up of solid shapes but don't want to add textures to my work digitally. I need a print process that allows me to recreate my designs accurately with a lot of detail. I would usually use screen print but during the lino workshop last week the tutor mentioned that we can laser cut lino, I would like to try this method as a alternate method that could introduce a different range of textures to my work.
I prepared two images the be laser cut which was very strange after preparing positives for screen print, I had to figure out how the overlaps would work and had to black out any areas that I want left as stock. I prepared the images and took them to print at the Vernon street building as I have already had an induction into that workshop. Unfortunately I was told that the rules have changed and I am no longer allowed to use that workshop. I will have to arrange induction at the Blenheim workshop and get my lino cut next week, this gives me time to fine tune the digital designs and research other print methods. I need to look at more concertina books and try to find out how they have been created.

No comments:

Post a Comment