Thursday 17 November 2016

Peer Crit


Today we had a peer review looking the work we have done for responsive so far. The feedback I got was really useful, it helped me to highlight the strengths in my work and identify new possibilities. I will need to consider brand limitations and the purpose of the images I am creating. For example the book covers need show penguin Books branding and showcase import information like the title and the author's name. I want to try and make the text and image work as one. I have been given some books to look at on hand drawn type that will help me with this.
I am aiming to produce multiple outcomes for the Adrian Mole brief which allows me the chance to fully explore different ideas, each of which I will concentrate on key elements of the story. I want to produce one that focuses on the main characters transition from childhood to adulthood. Another that focuses on the way he uses his diary as an escape from his surrounding and a platform to try and make sense of it. These concepts could easily translate into images that are too complex for a book cover, I will need to work more with visual metaphors and try to find new and interesting ways to combine ideas into a single image.
I want to try and have the Roald Dahl brief for YCN and the Adrian Mole brief for Penguin Books both finished by the time we return after the Christmas break. This may be a struggle but I think it is possible and I would then be allowing some leeway in case I encounter some problems along the way. Both of these briefs are based around children's books as that is the area of the industry I want to work in. There is enough variation between these briefs for me to challenge myself in different ways. The Roald Dahl brief will help me practice my character development but more importantly for me I will have to create full scenes. I have only recently started working on backgrounds in any depth. I am really enjoying trying to create immersive landscapes. Working more with landscapes will improve my practice and is a crucial aspect of the work I want to do.
We talked about the celebratory aspect of both of these briefs and that it is as important to celebrate the characters and stories as it is to try and introduce new readers to them. The content of both briefs has previously been illustrated and I think it is important to try something different both in terms of the way I illustrate them and the way I tackle the subject matter.
after today I have plenty to get on with and feel positive about my ideas. I need to draw up a timetable to help me divide my attention between both briefs equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment