Sunday 5 February 2017

Illustration12"





I spent that last two days making a cover for the Illiustration 12" brief. I chose Gil Scott Heron's 'The revolution Will Not Be televised'. I wanted to include the image of a television and originally thought about making a character will televisions as eyes but it looked too confused. I started looking at televisions from the time the record was originally released so that the image would be in keeping with the subject of the illustration. television from that time have become iconic. I started thinking about the old colour tests that were made up of tones and colours. The colour test used to come on when all the tv programs had finished so though that would tie in with the title of the song. I decided to show Gil Scott-heron climbing out of the television made up of the colours or tones from the test. I made a big mistake in this project that is a lesson learned. The brief was as simple as could be but I still managed to miss out one very important piece of information. I spent a few hours today making sure the lettering I used for the name and the title worked well with my illustration and were appropriate for a vinyl cover. I then checked the brief and realised we are not supposed to include the name or title in the illustration, I had made my work with the ide that it would be accompanied by text and was not happy with how it looked without it. I started to experiment with different compositions which were mostly unsuccessful until I came up with the idea of stacking lost of televisions together. This composition was much more intriguing but the character didn't got a bit lost. I decided to make all the other televisions black and white which helped the character stand out and also acted as a nod to what Gil Scott-heron was saying compared politicians and other songs at the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment