Sunday 19 February 2017

Calvin And Hobbs


My feedback mentioned that I should keep moving forward with my character design, trying out new shapes, processes and compositions. I think I tend to make characters too stationary, all with a similar stance and posture. I want to illustrate children's books so I need to learn to illustrate characters in a variety of situations otherwise all the pages will be too similar and I will not be able to communicate what is happening in the scene. I have been struggling with my work recently and found it hard to stay motivated so I started looking for inspiration. I found some old Calvin and Hobbs illustrations that demonstrate movement and expressions, they are a brilliant example of how to create character with fairly rough, simple illustration.


These illustrations all communicate character, movement and emotion. I think character design should be my focal point for this brief, I need to work on facial expressions and posture communicating emotion and creating interesting compositions and movement with a variety of character illustrations. The main character will be the dog in the story that thinks he is a polar bear, If he is all white and doesn't fit in with his surrounding I could create some compositions with the dog silhouetted. I want to make my illustrations for this brief looser, I feel like my shape based work has reached a point where the shapes determine the character rather than being a tool to help me create character. I am going to work on a lot of very loose roughs sketches for this brief as time may become an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment