Tuesday 7 February 2017

Polar Bear


I really like the polar bear idea, I think it would be a fun story that's entertaining for children and adults. The story tackles the idea of identity. I have seen that my niece loves stories based on animals with a funny central character. Looking at the categories on the Waterstones website the most popular age range for children's literature is 5-8 with almost double the number of books compared to pre school and 9-12 having a similar number of titles to each other. The most popular categories are 'Hobbies and Interests' and 'Picture Books'. There will be overlap within these categories and this is just the stock of one website but I think it gives a useful insight into children's literature at this moment in time. I think this book would appeal to pre school children and would fall into the 'Fiction' and 'Picture Book' categories. These are three very popular categories. looking at the picture book section the vast majority are based around animals or have animals as the main character.
I think a book that tackles identity could be very useful for pre school children. Talking to my niece she changes what she identifies herself as quite often. "she is not a baby she is grown up". I just asked her what she was and she said she's a "troublemaker" haha. I think the book could work with very few words, just the child at the beginning saying the dog is a polar bear and then the bears thoughts throughout the book. The text could be simple and repetitive like a poem.

"I look like a polar bear"

"I have teeth like a polar bear"

"I'm definitely not a polar bear!!!"

I want to look at children's books that use animals as the main characters and how they are portrayed. I have an idea of some books I would like the take a closer look at like Dieter Braun's 'Wild Animals of The.....' series and 'Toby and The Giants by Joe Lillington. there are a huge number of that I can research to see what works and doesn't. I should also check the best seller lists and children's publishing awards to see which books have been the mist successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment