Monday 6 February 2017

Ideas

I want to make a children's book that looks at a subject not normally addressed in children's literature. I want the book to include life lessons, important ideas that are overlooked in children's literature. I want my book to be beneficial to the reader as well as enjoyable. I will have to make sure the ideas and themes in the book are communicated in a thought provoking way to engage with the reader but also in a way that is appropriate for the age range. I will not have time to write a complex story so I need to find inspiration for the book from some pre existing work or come up with a concept that is doesn't require a complex story in order to explain it. I want to look at some illustrators that deal with unusual or difficult themes in their work to see how they approach them and how their illustrations help communicate the emotion and tone of the book.





'My Dad Used To Be So Cool' by Keith Negley ' is a book from the child's point of view talking about all the cool things his dad used to but not anymore. I really like this book and think it is something almost everyone can relate to, whether you were cool or not when you were younger you probably thought you were. The book is focussed on the connection between father and son. I like narratives based on relatable everyday things that are amazing if we actually stop and think about them. Successful writers manage to find these everyday situations and find the something about them that has a deeper connection with us whether it be funny, happy or sad. On the surface this book isn't educational but I think is does celebrate the relationship between parents and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment