Saturday 11 February 2017

Book Research

I want my book to help children tackle to idea of identity. I want the book to be fun for children with expressive lovable characters. I don't want my book to be an art book that is only appreciated by adults, I want to find a balance that appeals to both children and adults but primarily children. The inspiration for the book came from my two year old niece telling me my friends dog was a polar bear but I think I can add to the idea and make it something that is funny and appealing but that also addresses important issues in children's emotional development. I have found some studies that have researched the way pre school children start to understand their identity. I want to use their findings to inform the story of the book. I have been looking at books that use animals (mainly dogs) as characters as I want to find out how they illustrate emotion. I have quite a good idea how I am going to tell the story but I need to storyboard the book trying out different compositions and narratives to see what works. I am not sure how to end the story and it will be crucial to get it right and communicate the emotion effectively.

to research this project I will

- Read studies on identity
- research books and authors that deal with similar subject matter
- Look at trends in picture books for pre school children
- Find interviews with publishers where they discuss what they look for
- Research anthropomorphism

No comments:

Post a Comment