Sunday 19 February 2017

Roald Dahl Changes

I have made some changes to two of my Roald dahl illustrations. I didn't feel they had enough of an impact and seemed quite plain. I have also looked back over the brief to see if I have missed anything. The brief says that the illustrations should form a "coherent series". I took that to mean they should work as a set, like a set of prints and I have used the a similar aesthetic throughout all three. I am starting to worry that to worry that the scenes should tell a story but I don't know if that is possible given that they are from different books. I hope that I have done enough to link the images together. The brief also states that the illustrations should compliment the logo which is bold coloured lettering on a white background. All my illustrations are bold designs on a white background to 'compliment' the logo and to pay homage to Quentin Blake's illustrations.


My original illustration was pretty much entirely grey with only the young girl in colour, I did this to make her stand out and become a focal point even though she was a small part of the illustration but the BFG looked too plain and faded into the background. I did want the giant to look as if her was appearing from the background making him seem almost ethereal. the problem was finding a way to have him fading out of the scene but still showing his scale. I looked at illustrations of giants and noticed that clouds are often used as a way to emphasise the scale of the giant and add depth to the illustration. I decided to add grey clouds that fade out into the white background but then the giant became even more lost. I have been looking a lot at book covers for other briefs and noticed a trend of using two contrasting colours to draw attention to small details. I added the blue colour to the giant to make him contrast with the clouds and the girl while still seeming otherworldly.

I thought I had finished my illustration of The Witches but the more I looked at it the more I felt it looked flat and that the witch didn't have enough character. I wanted tot try and show parts of the witches appearance from before and after they show their true faces. I decided to add long black flowing hair that was a feature of both Quentin Blake's illustrations and the film adaptation. I had already tried adding the green smoke in previous version but it didn't work against the white background, once I added the black hair the green smoke acted as a way to highlight the mice characters.



No comments:

Post a Comment