Sunday 19 March 2017

Urrgghh

Had one of those days where nothing works. It is always slightly frustrating when trying to work with new processes that you are not comfortable with but today has been terrible.  I feel that my work recently has become overly reliant one specific process making my illustrations appear too flat. my 504 project and most of my responsive briefs have been shape based illustration. I think I need to start to combine processes digitally to move my work forward. I have also been getting drawn more towards loose line work after looking at Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes illustrations. his line work is very expressive showing movement and character. His compositions are dynamic and make the scenes more interesting, the compositions also accentuate the movement of the characters. As movement is something I want to work on in this brief I think his work is a good starting point.




I think the contrast between rough, thick black outlines for key details of to show something is in the foreground compared to washy watercolour with no outline is really effective an forms a very appealing aesthetic. I was taking previously about having my illustrations for my book floating in the centre of a white background and I think the middle image of these three is a brilliant example of how this can be done while suggesting a larger landscape around the illustration while making sure the characters are the focal point. I am going to try and combine fine liners, brushes, markers, felt tips and digital brushes to make some roughs and more developed pieces for this project to see if is a direction that I want to go in.



No comments:

Post a Comment