Wednesday 29 March 2017

Second page

I have started the second page of the book, I used the same shapes that I used to make the characters on the first page to see if  I could find a way to show the interaction between mother and daughter where the daughter says the dog is a polar bear. I am really happy with the results. In this page the characters are at the forefront of the image. and scaled up compared to the first. This made me think that maybe the characters should be larger in the on the first page but I think it works to set the scene of them being in the park and creates interest in the characters before they become the blatant, bold centre piece of the composition, also the rest of the book is going to be focussed on the dog and the majority of the compositions I have designed are fairly close up so the landscape composition will add some variation. I want to make sure there is variety in the compositions throughout the book and that they would work as a one of print as well as part of a narrative. I want each page to captivate the viewer and become an immersive environment. The children's book illustrators that I think are most effective manage to do this consistently through a variety of widely varying compositions so that each page grabs your attention and draws you into the scene.

I kept the original landscape in the background of the image to show how they have moved closer to the dog. I lowered the opacity slightly to give the image more depth. I could maybe add some more shrubbery to the foreground but it might make the composition too busy. I am going to work on the other half of this double page spread next, I need to make the dog look confused as to why he is being called a polar bear haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment