Tuesday 21 March 2017

Peer Review


We had peer reviews this morning which normally I look forward to but after the struggles I have had over the weekend with this project I didn't really want to show my work. The peer review definitely helped though, it reminded me why I want to illustrate this story and what the strengths of it are (emotion, comedy and character). I have been thinking about whether to include text and I like the idea of having similar sentences when the dog starts to think he might be a bear ( I look like a polar bear, I have teeth like a polar bear, I growl like a polar bear, etc). We talked about this in the review and the group thought I should limit to the text to speech and thoughts. I think this is a great idea, I want the images to tell the story without me having to try and explain what is going on, I want the text to add to the illustrations rather than be a crutch for them not working as they should. I need to look at how text is used in children's books and Jon Klassen's books were suggested to me as a starting point. It was suggested that I could bring back the girl character at the end of the book which I think could work really well and is not something I had considered before, it could add another joke to the end of the book with the girl saying he's and dog and the dog looking confused again or unimpressed (this might not make any sense, i'll have to work on it). I am going to stop making landscpaes for the moment and concentrate back on character I have sketched what seems like hundreds of dogs and have found a character I like, FINALLY. It is one of the simplest I have drawn so I now need to experiment with colour and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment