Tuesday 21 March 2017

Jon Klassen


I have been looking at Jon Klassen's work after he was suggested to me during the peer review. I started of looking at lettering but think his work has given me some new ideas about composition, He creates the impression of fill landscapes with a small number of thoughtfully placed details like rocks or trees. I could use similar details to silhouette my dog characters against a white background. I though about using a couple of tones of light grey for the dog as a way to distinguish all his features but I want to keep him as simple as possible. He keeps the text in his books separate from the illustrations mostly placing it on the opposite page or creating a border that contrast with the rest of the illustration. I want to use this same approach making sure that the text I separated from the illustration and is not interfering with the composition unless it is specifically designed to do so. Jon Klassen uses traditional fonts in his work that I think suit his illustrations. I would like to use looser, bolder bulkier lettering that matches the narrative of my book. I will have to make sure it is functional as it is its primary use, if it is hard to read or off putting in any way it will hinder the story.




No comments:

Post a Comment