Tuesday 7 March 2017

Sanna Annukka

I have been doing a lot of very rough sketches to try and work out how I would like to illustrate the dog character in my book. he will be the focal point of each page so I want to make sure he coveys the emotion and character that I am aiming for. It was mentioned in my feedback in 504 that I should start trying out using different shapes in my illustrations so I started trying to find illustrators that work in a similar way. I was reading an interview with Chris Haughton in which he was asked which illustrators he liked, which led me to the work of Sanna Anukka. She creates shapes based illustrations usually based on landscapes and animals. The animals are very stylized, almost abstracted in some cases but they all have character and personality. The animals are made up of a wide range of shapes and colours creating beautiful patterns but without losing the characters form.



I have been trying to use silhouettes for the all white dog in the story keeping them as simple as possible. I think these birds show ways that I could add some small details that won't compromise the aesthetic.

 
I have been trying to decide how to layout my illustrations for this book. I want to have the dog silhouetted against his surroundings but at the same time I would like to have the scene sitting in the middle of a clean white background. I made a breakthrough in 504 creating landscapes as I had struggled with it prior to that brief. I need to keep experimenting with full compositions including character and landscape instead of creating them separately then trying to combine them.


No comments:

Post a Comment