Friday 3 March 2017

Simple

I had a good talk with Chris yesterday talking about our illustrations and adjustments we may need to make given the scale they will be displayed at in the app. he mentioned that he has just completed an illustration for a banner to be used on Facebook and had to completely change it because the details he had included were lost when it was scaled down. We decided that the best option in terms of colours could be to keep it simple with black/dark grey and a coloured background, with the colours signifying each festival. If we decide to use colours for the lettering we should use limited colours and make sure they are bold and contrast with the background. I have been experimenting with colour over the last few days and on a large scale more detail works but as soon as it is scaled down it becomes confusing. I have sent my most recent images and some questions to the group so that I know how to proceed from here. I don't want to wait doing nothing so I will take the illustrations as far as I can while still keeping them easy to amend. I will make full screen versions for each festival and tiles for the main page to the correct dimensions.




These are a few examples of the colour experiments I have made over the last couple of days. I have struggled with adding colours to these images and think the characters work better as outlines on a single coloured backdrop. I do think the coloured lettering for the children's festival makers it more obvious that the festival is aimed at kids. I shared these with the group and Luke also thought the colours communicated the theme of the festival. I need to try it out with the other illustrations because one with colour and the rest all black will look unbalanced. I will need to find a way to best communicate the theme of the festival and make the illustrations work as a set. The other problem is that the coloured letters are not as bold against the background making the character the main focal point.




No comments:

Post a Comment