Monday 31 October 2016

Monoprint




Today we had a monoprint workshop, I have tried monoprint a fair few times in the past and don't really enjoy it. Today I tried monotype for the first time think that it could be a very useful process for me. The line quality is interesting, it reminds me of spattered spray paint bit in a more controlled line. I have been looking for ways to keep my work loose, drawing quickly and I think this could be a method that could help me move forward. I tried to a draw a few different characters from my storyboards as well as some backgrounds. The texture of the line work combined with solid blocks of colour and some torn paper edges could help add a really nice hand crafted feel to my work. I made a collage last night of a full scene from my roughs that I am very happy with. I made all the elements of the composition separately then scanned them into Adobe Illustrator and made them into vectors. Shapes can lose some qualities when vectored but the rough torn paper shapes maintained their loose jagged edges. I would like to see how my monotype sketches can be manipulated digitally. I have been trying to use other media such as ink and brush and a variety of pens to add to the elements that I like from my sketches without making them into polished digital images. Until today I hadn't found a process that I liked but monotype may be the one I was looking for, the lines are solid and bold enough to work with strong colours and block shapes and have an aesthetic that compliments loose drawings full of movement and character.



No comments:

Post a Comment