Saturday 29 October 2016

Frustration

I am very happy with with my storyboard for for this project so much so that I ma a bit worried about doing it justice. I have been trying to work differently to my usual style and methods which has led to me making images that I don't like. I have been struggling to stay focused on experimentation, after a while I start to drift back to tried and tested techniques. I am trying to keep my mind on the emotion my images convey and not worry about them looking like polished finished illustrations. When a few things I try don't work out I start to lose motivation and confidence in my work. Not liking my work can act as a catalyst for change and become a positive influence on my practice. Losing motivation has been a problem over the last couple of days so I decided to try and get some inspiration from illustrators that work with different media.




I chose Chris Haughton because he often works in full page spreads and works in block colours that could be used in screen printing. Haughton uses very similar colours for almost every element of these compositions and still manages to draw the eye to important parts of the illustration. I won't be able to to use this many colours in my prints but could manage three if I use overprinting successfully, so could potentially have a mid blue, light blue and an overprint dark blue. If I print full bleed i could use the white stock to highlight key ares like eyes as Chris Haughton has done here. Haughton works with collage and torn paper, something I have very little experience with. Using this method limits the amount of detail which could be a beneficial constraint for me to stop concentrating on polished line work. It also makes some nice textures, rough edges and a hand crafted feel. His compositions are amazing, he manages to create an atmospheric landscape with fairly simple shapes. The visual language he has created in this book from the shapes of the trees to the posture of the characters have obviously been worked on and refined to a point that it can be illustrated with clock colour and shape. I am going to research his processes and experiment with similar techniques to hopefully push past my current rut. Thats the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment