Saturday 1 October 2016

Roughs


I have been really struggling with these roughs, I keep hitting a brick wall in terms of ideas. I tend to go down one avenue and try to force it to work. I keep noticing that my train of thought have moved away from the author and is focussed on a very specific aspect of their work/life. I keep having to remind myself of the purpose of the images I am creating. Using aspects of the briefing is helping! If I find myself stuck I go back to creating lists and trying to create visual metaphors with different combinations of my ideas. I drew out the dimensions in my sketch pad and have been trying to complete each of the different dimensions in one go then move on to the next, portrait, landscape etc. When I get an idea that fits one of the other dimensions I make a note of it to work on later. I think what I should be doing is working on those ideas when I have them to fully explore where they can go. By the time I get to them the way I have worked so far I am not in the same mind frame and I don't think my notes fully capture the idea as I had them at the time.

There are a few things I need to remember while working on these roughs-
  • Think about framing, imagine you are a film director choosing your shot, try multiple angles and zoom in and out.
  • Think about how you can suggest objects just outside the frame, this can add impact or allow more room in the frame for other important elements.
  • Think about the emotion you are trying to convey. How can subtle changes make a image seem positive or negative.
  • try to tell a story with the image. Experiment with how clear you want the message to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment