Wednesday 5 October 2016

Roughs 3


Before the crit on Tuesday I created some more detailed versions of some of my roughs, the ones that I thought were stronger visually than conceptually. Doing this helped me to work out the strengths and weaknesses of each design but more importantly through this process I started to find ways to combine some of the better compositions with more interesting concepts. At first I was trying to avoid the metaphors that Neil Gaiman uses in this work and his interviews because they seemed like an easy option, I think this was mistake and that I should be trying to celebrate my chosen authors work but in my own way. After the tutorials I started to use his metaphors as a starting point and attempted to find new ways to illustrate the same messages he had.

In an interview Gaiman said "Fiction has two uses. Firstly, it’s a gateway drug to reading. The drive to know what happens next, to want to turn the page, the need to keep going, even if it’s hard, because someone’s in trouble and you have to know how it’s all going to end …".
I like the idea of fiction being a gateway to reading and learning, so instead of illustrating fiction as a drug as I had in earlier roughs I decided to other objects related to gateways which led me to keys, A key that could unlock a whole world of knowledge.


I think this image would work much better if the keys were more intricate and the lettering was not as obvious. I want the illustration to appear to be a set of keys at first glance and the lettering only to become clear after further inspection. I want to create intrigue in the image and the text that it will accompany.

No comments:

Post a Comment