Sunday 16 October 2016

Illustrators that use print 2


Natalya Balnova's work stood out to me in the presentation of Friday. In the past I haven't enjoyed screen printing, I have screen printed clothing on a few occasions and usually stick to one colour designs as I have struggled to get to grips with making a limited colour palette work effectively. Natalya Balnova manages to use 2 colours with brilliant effect, I think a large part of this is her understanding of the colours she is using and how they work as combinations. In the past I have not liked colours overlaying during screen printing, I think this is due to me working a lot digitally and having full control over colour and opacity. Natalya Balnova's designs work perfectly with the aesthetic quality of screen printing, The bold loose line work takes on the textures created during printing and combine to form shapes with a real feeling of energy and crafting. After looking at these 2 illustrators I want to try and experiment with different media during this project and spend time trying to develop a better understanding of line quality, I have a tendency to fall back to using fine liners because I am comfortable with them and I think it is limiting my practice. I thin learning to make the most of the stock colour will be key in this project, Natalya Balnova makes brilliant use of this with full bleed pages and blocks of colour with cut out lettering. he creates work for a long list of publications including The New York times, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal.




No comments:

Post a Comment