Saturday 22 October 2016

Brief Analysis 2


Looking back at the briefs I think the Adobe brief best suites my learning process at this time. I am very interested in communication and want to continue to try and understand how to create images that start a thought process rather than simply present information and I think this brief will best allow me to further this process. the brief is balancing in terms of practice as it states that craft is "crucial and idea is key. The judges will be looking for real skill in your chosen craft, but craft is most powerful when driven by a strong concept.". The brief will test me both in terms of concept and in craft, two things that are central to my practice and that I want to improve.
Adobe are the biggest creative software developer in the world and their programmes are used by a huge number of creatives from students to professionals. I think a large number of people who respond to the brief will be overly focussed on the processes involved in their programmes and I would like to concentrate more on the message of creativity at the core of the company. I would prefer to showcase imagination and ideas over digital proficiency. I think this could help me to stand out in the competition.
Because I am researching such a big company it is not easy to tailor my work to the tastes of the people the work is for so I would instead like to focus on the ideals and identity of the company and try to communicate these through my work.

I am not happy with this analysis so decided to revisit it after looking back at the brief. I want to try addressing each question individually to see if it helps me to keep focussed.

I have tried to open this files I downloaded the website and they will no longer open, I have successfully opened these before with no problem and all of a sudden none of them will open. I have tried to download the file again and still no luck. I had previously printed of one of the briefs but unfortunately not the Adobe brief. For the purposes of this task I will use the Fur For Animals brief to answer the questions.

What problem(s) are identified by the brief?

The problem is to raise awareness of the fur trade and mistreatment of animals that it involves.

What is the brief asking you to do about it/them?

The brief asks me to create a piece of online content that will be shareable on social media, such as an image or even just simply an idea.

What is the brief trying to achieve?

The brief is trying to raise awareness of the unethical practices of the fur trade to people who buy fur, could be thinking about buying fur and to the wider public to undermine the consumer want for fur. The overall aim of the trust is to completely eliminate the fur trade and this campaign is designed to contribute towards that goal.

Who will benefit?

The main benefit will be to the animals that are killed in this trade. The secondary benefit will be to the people that are concerned about the way the animals are treated.

What is the message?

The message is that every year 100 million animals are killed for fashion and that there is no such thing as ethical fur.

Who is the audience?

I have already talked about this in the question about what the brief is trying to achieve but I think it is important to note that the fur trade is thriving in Russia and China so for the campaign to be successful it would need to be able to transcend language and cultural barriers.

How will the message be delivered?

The message will be based online and need to be something that can be shared via social media so that it can reach a wide audience without costing a large amount of money. A subject can go viral and reach millions of people in minutes at no cost at all such as the ice bucket challenge. The content could be an image but interactive content could generate more of a reaction. It could be something fairly simple that makes people feel involved in the campaign.

Can you foresee any problems in responding to the brief?

I think it will be difficult to create something that manages to communicate the grim subject matter effectively without it being off putting to certain people. I would not be able to make any images that were too graphic or extreme as they are supposed to be sharable over social media so judging what is and what isn't appropriate for the campaign would be a major consideration. There is a lack of control when creating a campaign to be shared on social media the content lacks a stable context and it can be misappropriated, the meaning can change and the original message could be lost or even worse misrepresented.





No comments:

Post a Comment