Monday 17 October 2016

Computer Workshop- Preparing Images for Screenprinting

I normally work with Illustrator so this workshop was helpful in that it showed me alternative ways to prepare screen prints that open up new possibilities and allow me to create different aesthetics. I already know most of the information in todays workshop but think the workshops will get a lot more useful as we progress. I might try to work in photoshop for this module as I want to work with rougher hand drawn shapes rather than crisp vectored images in illustrator. Today we looked at how to use multiply to help us understand how the colours we use will overlay creating a 3rd colour. This in incredibly useful to me as i have never liked to colour combinations I have created when screen printing in the past. I think this will help to me experiment with compositions to see how I can balance colours and make use of negative space without having to make a huge number of prints. 


After the image has been created we need to keep the colours on separate layers and convert them all the 100% black so that they will work properly as negatives when we print them out. I have printed before using both paper and acetate and it can be difficult to get a dark enough print on acetate unless you know how to set up your print settings correctly. We also leaned how to separate colours by cutting out to remove any overlay of colours. This will be very useful to stop colours overlaying where it is not wanted. I have tried to do this by hand in the past and it is extremely annoying and time consuming, it is a similar process to using the pathfinder too in adobe illustrator. I still want to try and complete this module with as little digital editing as possible but these techniques will allow me to test out ideas, compositions and colour variations.


No comments:

Post a Comment