Wednesday 26 October 2016

Shape and line in print


I found this fabric print by Jane Farnham that I really like. A lot of her work is based more around solid blocks of colour without overlapping line work but this pattern stood out to me as the most interesting. The line work and colour still interact even though they are not governed by the form of each other. Often adding loose line work to a piece creates a feeling of movement but I don't think feel like it is the case with these prints, the contracting shapes and colours seem to add depth, space and shape. the layers are separate enough to suggest the object is separate from the page. I think the choice of colours and the qualities of the line work are immensely important in illustrations like this. The only thing I think would improve this work would be print textures within the solid blocks of colour, I think that would add a crafted feel and give the fruit even more form. The imperfections in the print process can produce some appealing shapes and textures.


This illustration by Ryn Frank demonstrates the kind of print textures and effects I was talking about above. Ryn Frank has produced work for John Lewis and Penguin Books among many others and in most cases seems to use very fine detailed line work contrasted with solid blocks in the same colour. In this example the illustration is made entirely of block shapes with no line work and the appeal for me comes form the textures of the shapes. The texture created by the ink and the rough edges to the objects are what make the illustration appealing to me. if the same illustration was made with perfectly printed shapes with smooth edges it would have lost its personality. I fall into the trap of trying to make sure everything is neat and tidy and sharp. I draw with fine liners to make sure \I am in control of every detail of my work. This project is making me move away from that and realise some of the most appealing shapes, textures and composition come form experimentation that is not necessarily intended, and that the imperfections created during a process are often to most appealing part of an illustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment