Sunday 1 January 2017

Book covers



I want to make a book cover with a cut out in the centre that acts as a window into the book. While researching escapism I have talked about fiction being a doorway into another world. I wanted to use a keyhole shape to make this window. I want the rest of the cover to be very simple so that the readers attention is drawn to the keyhole only. The book cover is often the first interaction between the reader and the author and needs to make a strong impact instantly. I want the cover to create intrigue in the contents of the book. The boom cover should match the narrative of the book, You could have an amazing, well crafted book cover that has a contrasting tone to the contents of the book and creates confusion for the reader. I need to consider the materials and processes I will need to use to make my cover. I want the cover to be quite thick and create a sold framework for the concertina as it is over three metres long and can seem quite flimsy. I need to figure out how to include the title of the book without distracting from the keyhole.





The book that is cut into the shape of a gun has been made into a sculpture more than a book. I really like the design as an object but the design has changed to purpose of the text. The books with cut holes with the glasses and moustache are interesting, The features give the cut outs their own form, I think this could help my book cover design but I am not sure if the features on the cover become the focal point rather than the page seen through the cut out. I will need to carefully consider what colours to use to make sure they contrast with the colours of my illustration. One of the book cover designs has no text on the front cover but uses a belly band to communicate all the information the cover would usually contain. This could be a good way to keep the cover crisp and clean in appearance. I really like the two black covers with cut outs, the negative space created by the matt black cover really highlights the illustrations that show through. I need to experiment with  different materials to see which ones create the aesthetic I want and are practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment