Sunday 8 January 2017

Scenes


I wanted to look at more illustrations of scenes from Roald dahl's work by Quentin Blake. The illustrations are concentrated on the characters often with very little background or none at all. The characters stand out on the white background even when coloured with darker or grimier colours like The Twits. I think illustrating my scenes in a similar way will help me tie the designs into the Roald Dahl foundation logo but I would like to try and find ways to subtly suggest scenery and landscapes. I want my characters to feel like they are grounded within a scene rather then floating in a completely blank space.



I have been working on this brief so far by trying to illustrate the scenes the same way as my book for 504 because I feel I made a breakthrough in that brief. I think it has meant I have become too set in a specific process rather then responding to this brief individually and has caused me to feel like I am just going through the motions. I need to take a step back and try to use this brief to push the breakthroughs I have made further, to try out new ideas and processes to see what works and what doesn't. I want to try and create scenes that celebrate the history of Roald Dahl's work but not replicas of previous works.

No comments:

Post a Comment