Wednesday 18 January 2017

Adrian Mole back cover

I decided I want to get my Adrian Mole cover finished this week so I can focus all my attentions on the Roald dahl brief next week. I had an idea to make the lettering for the back of the book out of blu tac shaped into letters then scanned into illustrator. I wanted to make rounded letters that look like felt tip, I thought the use of blu tac would add to imperfections and interesting tapes in the lettering that I would no achieve by just writing out the text with a felt tip. There was a large amount of text to make so I thought it would be best to create a full alphabet and arrange the letters in illustrator.


I made a note of the capital letters and numbers I would need. I added some texture to the lettering digitally and I'm not sure it works at the scale I will be applying it. The texture looks like felt tip at a larger scale but with the lettering so small I think it might look like its badly printed and have a negative effect on the quality of crafting. I have been trying to make the front and back covers balance but the large amount of text has been causing me problems. When I worked on the front cover I felt like I had to cram a lot into a small space but that was nothing compared to the back cover. I have had to learn throughout this process, if it was up to me I wouldn't include all the text but I have to work to the brief and stay motivated to make it work the best I can. This is a good learning experience for me working to a brief and solving problems as I go. I have been trying to keep and consistent and simple colour scheme on the cover but I am not sure the colour I have used for the hand written text on the back cover is dark enough to be clear or to resemble blue felt tip.


I think that types I have used are clear and easy to read but I would like to get some more opinions at it is crucial for this project. The cover has to make the book appealing, instantly capture the imagination of potential readers but also clearly convey the necessary information. I am trying to stop the cover becoming a grid of lettering,  I thought about placing the lettering a different contrasting angles but that would have taken up even more space and would have made the lettering less appealing/more confusing. On a side note I want to learn how to make my own fonts, the process of making each word individually was extremely lengthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment