Saturday 21 January 2017

Roald Dahl roughs



I decided to start from scratch with the Roald dahl brief. I was not happy with the illustrations I had created so far and wanted to try and generate new ideas. I started roughing out designs focussing mainly on character and composition. The brief is to illustrate iconic scenes from the Roald Dahl children's stories, because the scenes are so well known and have been recreated through illustrations and in film I want to make sure my illustrations stand out from previous incarnations. I want my illustrations to celebrate the characters and emotion of the scene. I have tried to work in a way that would work as a spot illustration so it could accompany text, it is not a condition of the brief but I wanted to see if I could create an immersive environment using very minimal shapes and colours. Working with these simple backgrounds will help me to make the characters stand out, Roald Dahl's character's personalities are big and bold and I wanted their appearance to mirror that. I am aiming to create big colourful shape based characters that form intriguing compositions that play with scale and perspective. In a lot of the stories their is opportunity to use huge differences in scale from the mice and witches to the giants in The BFG. I wanted the BFG to seem otherworldly but relatable and friendly so I used some human features but distorted them, it was difficult to try and make a character that didn't look at all sinister. There is something about things that appear almost human that is inherently worrying. I want to only have parts of the giant visible with his face and hand appearing from outside of the composition suggesting his scale. I will need to make sure this doesn't draw the eye away from the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment