Thursday 5 January 2017

Changes Adrian Mole


I made some changes to my book cover for Adrian Mole, I haven't made all the changes that were suggested to me as I started to feel like I was making too many compromises to the design and that the changes I have made have helped to make the other changes unnecessary. I have made the works 'THE' and 'OF' smaller in the title and used pencils to keep the text in a block format, the change in these two words has changed the overall dimensions of the text and meant that I have to make the title slightly smaller on the page to stop it impacting on other elements of the composition. I think it I have managed to keep it large enough within the design for it to remain the most dominant element on the cover. I have changed Adrian's skin colour to a skin to a skin tone that is pale enough to make sure it contrasts with the other characters and more importantly the orange of the background, keeping the composition weighted and balanced. I have change the hairline of the of the character to make the haircut look more masculine and to make space to add a spot to Adrian's face without making the features on the characters face look crammed together. I am still not sure if I want to keep the spot as part of the composition but it is important to the story and would be an addition that could appeal to readers already familiar with the book. I did try out using the spot instead of a thought bubble to illustrate '13 3/4' but it looked a bit graphic, not very appealing for first time readers!
I am not sure whether I should use a different colour for important words in the title to make them stand out more. On one hand it could give the words more impact on the other hand it could break up the composition and make it appear messy. the composition is already fairly heavy with detail due to the long title which is why I think the block shapes I have used help to keep the cover looking crisp and clean. I am going to rework the back cover next and see if during the process I can find any new idea that could be transferred to the front.




No comments:

Post a Comment