Thursday 5 January 2017

Book cover progress


I started to work on my book cover today with mixed results. I had thought about using a drill to make the circular section of the key hole in the book cover and have arranged to try this out next week as I don't have the tools myself. I have a couple of spare section of grey board in case I made any mistakes and decided to try making the key hole with a craft knife and sand paper. I didn't know if sanding the grey board would work and would need to find out to use it with the drilled cover as well. The test went well and may end up being the cover I use for my final book. The key hole isn't perfect but the sanded, rounded edges create a nice aesthetic.


I tried to line up the key hole with the image to the bird would be visible as well as the forest floor and flowers. It looks like for once I got the measurements correct. I want to keep the cover of the book completely blank the eye is drawn straight to the key hole with no distractions. The key hole creates a nice contrast with the smooth plain cover.


The title is present in the book on the inside cover along with the quote I based the book on but I wanted a way to present the book with the title even when the book is closed. I the briefing on Wednesday it was suggested that we make belly bands for our books and I though that could be a nice way to present my book and preserve the simple blank cover of the book. I got some coloured paper that is similar in colour to the illustrations in the book. I wanted to lino print the title and possibly my name onto the belly band but made a rookie mistake by cutting the lino without realising that the lino block is a negative and the word needs to be written backwards. I should know this as I have made the same mistake in the past. I also ran out of ink, all I had to hand was acrylic paint as used the paint as a test with the backwards lino print to see if it would work. It didn't, at all!!!!!!



I am going to get myself another lino block tomorrow and some more ink, I thought about using collage on the belly band but I think the lino print will look more professional. I am going to start again tomorrow with the right tools and hopefully more sense!!!!!! I don't want to cut corners with the finishing touches!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment