Tuesday 3 January 2017

Book cover


I went to see a friend who works at Spink and Thackary book binders in Headingley. He helped me out with ideas for my cover. he gave me some 2.5 mm thick grey board cut down to be 5mm bigger that my page size. I wanted the cover to be slightly oversized to disguise and slight variations in the page size from my folding and the board to be thick enough to add a solid frame for the book as it is over three metres long when unfolded and could seem very delicate. I think the board could provide a simple, clean low key cover for the book. I still need to figure out how to cut the keyhole into the cover. I have a couple of spare boards so I have the opportunity to try out two different techniques. Laser cutting would provide the most precise cut but would also burn and discolour the board. I want to add a title and my name to the cover but keep the rest of the cover plain. I want the lettering to be very small so that it doesn't affect the aesthetic of the cover, especially on the front. I want the readers attention to be drawn to the keyhole and the image they can see through it. I think this will have more impact if the rest of the cover acts in contrast as negative space.



I wanted the colour to be white but the only board or card I could find was either too thin or low quality. If I was using white it would need to be perfect or the effect wouldn't provide the aesthetic I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment