Wednesday 7 December 2016

Sound Storyboard


I am still trying to get my head around storyboarding, my ideas for my animation involve a few simple slow movements. My aim is to produce a sad, sombre atmosphere to communicate the feelings of the ogre and his need to escape. I thought I should make a digital mock up storyboard to help me to plan out the sounds I will need for the animation. A friend who is a music producer offered me some of his productions but they were all too fast paced for my animation. I am not sure whether to have music playing throughout or use forest sounds to set the tone and pace of the sting. A combination of the two could work but I would need to find two that match in a similar way to the 'Last of Us- Part 2' trailer. The music is kept simple with slow lingering tones from a single instrument. I think the simpler the better for this sting, the same applies to the forest sounds, I found lots of sound clips that had too much going on. They were distracting and clashed with the animation itself. In terms of sound effects for this part of the sting all I want to use is the sound of the ogre crying, I will have to find a clip of a sobbing sound and lower the tone of it to make it sound like an ogre or alternatively I could record the sound myself. I also want to find a sound clip of heavy breathing for the ogre, in the full story from the book the ogre has just run away from soldiers and is out of breath, although that is not shown in the animation I think it would be  a good addition it will also help to communicate the size of the ogre.

I want to pan between the pages to transition between scenes and think I should add a sound effect to this movement to make the viewer feel involved in the animation. I thought about adding the sound of leaves rustling or footprints to give the impression that the viewer is part of the animation and is actually moving from page to page. I think this could help create a more intense, immersive atmosphere.
The second stage of the sting has two movements in it, the bouncer pointing at the sign and the ogres shoulders and head slumping as he is refused entry. I am not sure whether to add a sound to the bouncers arm moving as I want him to seem small compared to the ogre, I want the ogre to seem big and heavy and his movements to have presence. Again I want to keep the sounds quite simple. I want to find a 'sigh' sound clip as the shoulders slump. in one of my earliest animation tests I animated the moon moving across the sky but I have decided it is too distracting and does not benefit the narrative or the tone of the sting.


On this page the ogre tries internet dating and it does not go well. The background forest sounds and music will continue throughout all of the pages. I am going to animate a speech bubble to show the girl of the screen screaming and need to find a scream that lasts long enough to fit the lettering appearing in the speech bubble. After the scream the ogre will put his head in his hands a sigh again while the girl on the screen continues to wave her hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment