Thursday 8 December 2016

Breakthrough



I looked back at my original roughs for the book cover that were more focussed on lettering and realised I have moved away from them. I made two covers using the original compositions but removing a couple of the elements that made them too busy. I am much happier with these!!
They still need to be refined, I want to add a couple more textures and experiment with some of the colours. Some of the characters in the lettering become lost depending on the background colour and need to be altered. I don't want to add too many textures as I think they work because the contrast with the solid shapes that make up the majority of the cover. Some of the lettering is a bit messy, for example the 'M', I could create a full alphabet and make the lettering into a font to go with the cover. There is still some more text to add to these covers and I need to make sure I don't rush the process and try to cram it into the composition, all the elements will have to work well together. I could change the alignment of the lettering on this first cover. If the lettering is right aligned I could put the authors name in the top right in a slightly different colour.


I prefer this cover, I think it is a more interesting image and says more about the book. The though bubble fits the idea of seeing the world from Adrian's perspective. I could possibly use these compositions as the front and back cover of the book. On the top design I could remove the lettering and make the speech bubble bigger to contain text from Adrian's diary. I will have to test out these designs with the cover template to see if they work with the branding and barcode box. I tried this with previous designs and it forced me to change them, I have tried in this case to create compositions that will work but need to test that theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment