Friday 16 December 2016

Printed t shirts


I wanted to look at some clothing brands that screen print t shirts. I am limited by the constraints of the brief to 2 colours but limited colour schemes are common when it comes to screen printing t shirts as each additional cover ups the cost and the time it takes to make the screens. It becomes more difficult to line up each layer perfectly, with each new layer the screen has to be lined up which can take time. Because of these limitations t shirt designers find ways to include the colour of the t shirt in the design, effectively gaining an additional colour without the extra cost and effort. Complex designs to me seem wasted on t shirts as nobody pays close enough attention to the details one someone else's clothing. Bold shapes and interesting colourways create an instant impact. For some brands a colour combination can become as much their own as the logo itself. Colour choice can turn an average design into a much more appealing or ruin a design altogether. I keep getting too used to working digitally and being able to pick any colour I want from a palette and change it any time I like, its not so easy working with printing inks trying to mix colours, especially when they their appearance can change when the are printed and dried. I think screen printing on t shirts will suit the illustrations I have made and I should be able to use a dark coloured t shirt to act as a shirt colour within the print or as a silhouette to suggest the landscape.



No comments:

Post a Comment