Wednesday 7 December 2016

Book Cover Composition 2


I worked on a few more of my characters to try and make a back cover or alternate front cover for the book. I am finding it hard to create covers that are not over complex and busy. I think a few of my compositions look messy and I need to find a way around this. The more I work on this project the more I appreciate leaving space within the composition, My best results have been with illustrations that allow the important information on the cover space to exist without being crowded. I have kept trying to come up with ideas for including the text into the illustration but that may have confused the result I was aiming for. I should have been seeing the text and illustrations as two separate parts of the same composition that complement each other rather than try to force them together.


This was An idea for the back cover, there is quite a lot of text to add to the back cover so I tried to use Adrian holding a piece of paper to include it in the illustration. I think it looks a bit messy and forced, like the characters have been crammed together. I am starting to think about making the characters along the bottom of the page smaller, getting rid of Adrian all together and giving the text more space. I am not sure whether to use a speech bubble for the text or whether that will overpower the characters.


This is an idea for the back cover that would mirror the composition of the front cover with different characters from the book. I am not sure if it will work as a book cover being similar on both sides. I am going to try a couple more compositions then make mock ups to see how they will look. I like the speech bubble but it does break up the composition, I could try and make it a similar colour to the background to counteract this. I am going to go back to my research and see if I have missed anything that could help me when making decisions about the cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment