Saturday 24 December 2016

Roald Dahl 2


I have been trying to decide which of the other Roald dahl children's stories I am going to illustrate for this brief. I need the 3 illustrations to form a set so I want there to be a common theme between them. I have been looking at 'The BFG' which was one of my favourites as a child and 'The Witches'. The images I like most from my roughs for 'Danny The Champion of The World' include the child in the book hiding from the villain, which are two of the characters the brief asks for. I would like to continue this theme throughout all three scenes and keep a constant colour scheme also. The BFG characters differ in size and could make an interesting composition with scale, I could use this same compositional technique with the other two stories with witches and mice and Danny in the forest. I need to make sure the compositions compliment each other but are not too similar in layout.



I think of the two roughs the second one is a more iconic scene from the story and would have more impact. the scale of the buildings makes the size difference more obvious, for someone unfamiliar with the story the top image might be unclear, whether one of the characters is very large or one is very small. I want the colours these scenes to match the Roald Dahl logo but toned down. This scene especially is very atmospheric and bright bold colours wouldn't communicate the narrative. I ma really starting to enjoy this brief the more I get into it and think more about compositions and links between the stories. I think I might watch 'The Witches' over Christmas to refresh my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment