Thursday 29 December 2016

Roald dahl research


I want the illustrations I make for this brief to be different from any previous versions of the characters and scenes. there have been some iconic illustrations of Roald dahl's work, Quentin Blake created the most iconic work associated with Roald dahl to the extent that one doesn't seem right without the other. I want to learn from Quentin Blake's illustrations but create work that is very much my own. I want my illustrations to be bold, colourful and full of character. I remember the books and films from when I was a kid and want to capture the emotion of the characters as they take part in magical adventures.



Quentin Blake tended to concentrate on the characters in his illustrations often with no background at all. This means the viewer is solely concentrated on the character and allows Blake to clearly communicate the characters emotions and gestures without the viewers attention being taken by the characters environment. I would like to illustrate the stories creating an immersive scene that makes you feel like a part of the story. I will need to make sure that the characters do not become lost in the composition. I want to experiment with colour and texture in this brief. Quentin Blake uses some bright, bold colours but I would like to be more experimental and try different colour combinations for the characters and magical beasts in the stories.





No comments:

Post a Comment