Wednesday 20 January 2016

Show and tell

I got a few comments of feedback from the show and tell on Tuesday, 2 of which said the book is personal, sweet and moving which is exactly what I wanted it to be so I am very happy. One piece of constructive criticism asked if the approach to drawing I used " betrayed the tone of the story?" which I think is a good question! The reason I wanted to illustrate the book in the way I did was to see if it was possible to be true to the tone of the story using that kind of character. I think I could use this style more effectively with more research and time but I'm aware that even if I had managed to put the characters facial expressions and postures together perfectly in this style it would still most likely divide opinion. I think I may have missed the mark in terms of how I have tried to tell the story as some people thought it was an entirely sad story. I wanted the story t be very real not only to the specific story of my mum but to life, that's why I have included the sad parts of life as well as the happy memories but I want the book the be atleast happy and sad in equal measure.

I tried to use simple characters to suggest emotion without using too much specific information so that people could fill in their own life experiences. I think the book has been successful but could have been better, I should probably have focussed on one part of mum mums life and tolf it in greater detail rather than try and tell the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment