Sunday 3 January 2016

Research 8


My mum attended Notre Dame High School in Sheffield. It cost my grandparents a lot to send her there and the clash between her background and grammar school was hard for her to adjust to. The school was founded in 1855 but only became Notre Dame high school for girls in 1948 when it joined with another school built on the same grounds. I would like to use the school as a basis for one of the pages of the book, possibly combined with an image of my grandad working in the steel mills as a comparison.


 My mum lived in London between 1971 and 1974. She hated being busy city and tried whenever possibly to get back out into the countryside. I remember her telling me she would regularly catch a bus out into the countryside that took 3 hours to get some piece and quiet. she was claustrophobic so catching the tube must have been her idea of hell. I want to find a way to show how much the hated the hustle and bustle of London and the piece and serenity that being in the countryside brought her.


Although she hated living in London it is where she met my dad and also where they were married. they got married at the Catholic Chaplaincy on Gower street in 1972.

This is a more modern photo of the building they were married in but I have some photos of the wedding itself that I need to find. I would like to use this event as a part of the book as it was a huge source of happiness for my mum and obviously a big part of her life. I also think that this will be an event that people will relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment