Sunday 3 January 2016

research 9

Another huge part of my mums life was me and my sister so i think that should be part of the book. Looking back through old photos has made me want to use the changes in fashion to show the passing of time throughout my mums life. I need to make sure the characters are still easily recognizable which will be difficult given them aging through the book. i could draw them wearing the same clothing with small alterations to illustrate the fashion in different decades.


In this photo I am wearing a very nice all red outfit, my dad looks like a beatnik, but the star of the show is my mums amazing jumper! 

the next part of her life is very sad and i will need to be careful to create images that handle the emotion of the events and have the right tone, years ago my mum was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumor and given a year to live, it was a struggle to watch her fade away and suffer through the effects of chemo therapy. We made the most of good times and tried to make her feel as happy as possible in this time. One thing I am very happy about is that during this time she got to meet my niece, her granddaughter. I have to include this in the book as it was a blessing to have this ray of light in difficult times.

She had to move into St Gemma's Hospice near then end of her life and was there the last time I saw her. I think I will have to include these times in the book as well as her funeral to make the book tell the story I want it to. I would like to show the the happiness and sadness of life, I think this will be a huge challenge to make my illustrations communicate the emotion of the story accurately but I would like to try and push myself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment