Saturday 2 January 2016

research 1

I have been researching my mums life, I started by looking through photographs throughout her life and trying to decide how to illustrate the different stages making sure that it is clear that it is the same character in each page of the book. i think I will need to use some common clothing or accessories to stop any confusion as i want the emphasis to be on the emotions and the context of each page as well as their relevance to the story. i want the book to be clear but without seeming too structured in its layout. i have really been struggling with how I will achieve this. there are a lot of problems to overcome in the process of illustrating this book but I want to push myself out of my comfort zone and challenge myself to make the book engage the viewer more than I have ever done before.



 This first photo is of me and my sister with my grandma and grandad in Hackenthorpe in Sheffield. This photo is a good example of the clothing my grandparents wore as well as the street my mum grew up in that had barely changed since her childhood. The council house they had on this street was a huge source of happy memories for my mum and as rough as the area is it always felt like home when I spent time there. I want to show my grandparents as the proud hardworking and loving people that they were.



This is a school photo of my mum at Notre Dame. Her school life contrasted a lot with her home life as she was mixing with people from much more affluent backgrounds. It cost my grandad a small fortune just to buy her uniform. I want to show how much hard work goes went into paying for this on one of the pages of the book and how she felt going to the school for the first day. My mum did not like any of the teachers at the school but it drove her to become a teacher and help kids from similar backgrounds to herself to do well. She was a teacher at Parklands girls school in seacroft for many years and even helped to get the first student from the school into Oxford University. 

No comments:

Post a Comment