Monday 18 January 2016

Covers


This was my first attempt at the front cover. I used a font in Adobe Illustrator then altered some of the letter forms and added some shapes of my own. I like the lettering and the thought bubbles to tie in with the theme of the book but it seems quite plain and doesn't fill the page like the bulky forms in the book. My dad said "it makes the background try and do too much work". I think he's right, the texture is nice but only works well with a foreground that takes up a large percentage of the page.




I used the same lettering but changed the layout to fill the page and spread the text over multiple lines to make it more of a interesting. I like this design as it makes the shapes more important than the lettering and allows the character to me more visible. I have staggered the width of the lettering so that it wouldn't be uniform and then would match the rest of the book.


I printed the book out to see how it would look put together and noticed that the white inside cover pages looked wrong side by side with the full bleed pages and cover of the book. I wanted to find a simple texture that would work and soften the contrast between pages without distracting from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment