Sunday 13 March 2016

Value


for the colour value task I created a palette from 2 outfits I wore this weekend but I am not the most colour coordinated at the best of times especially while cycling around looking very scruffy. The process made me see the colours that made up what I was wearing in a different way and could be a very useful process when working on colour palettes for my illustrations.




I remember years ago talking to a well known graffiti artist a few years ago that told me when he was fading tones of the same colour in his work he uses a combination of similar tones and one that is completely different to offset the balance of the object he was painting. It is a consideration I keep in mind when blending colours. The handout explaining how to layer values with light, dark and mid values is very helpful, it seems like an obvious way to create depth in an image and I have used it before but have never experimented with different variations throughout a series of roughs to find the best combination. The layering of tones and colour values could be very useful in a complex composition and would require a lot of though and planning to work out a combination that works throughout. I have experimented with this theory in my visual language sketch pad.





I wanted to apply colour palette breakdowns to items of clothing that have carefully planned colour combinations. I wanted to look at the palette of some trainers that have colour combinations that I like.




It seems that colour combinations on these trainers often consist of a few similar tones of colours with small details added in contrasting bold colours as points of interest in the design. The quality and lighting if my phots has effected the colour palette as the colour dropper is not able to capture the true colour of the fabric. I will try these again with better lighting.



No comments:

Post a Comment