Friday 11 March 2016

Finished screen print



I picked up my screen prints from the print room. Although the process was difficult and I had some troubles it was still enjoyable and I like the results. I tried to add some texture to the work digitally while designing it in Adobe Illustrator but the best textures came out during the print process. I would like to learn how to get a degree of control over these instead of them being random outcomes. the blue is strong and I think manages to stop the design looking top heavy, the blue did not look that strong until I added the layer of black, it is important to know how your colours will interact with each other as I wasn't expecting the effect to change that much. Unfortunately some of the emulsion washed out of the screen in the bottom left blurring the print of Ray Charles. this effect could be good if it was controlled and only applied to areas I chose. screen printing always throws up challenges, I have worked with screens before for books and mostly clothing with a friend that runs a screen print business and from what I have seen and what he has told me there are always adjustments to be made and obstacles to be overcome. as we were working 3 to a screen the process was a little fraught and meant that if one person had a problem it affected us all. I would definitely like to try this again with a bit more freedom in terms of time and space.

I looked at some work by Jay Ryan who is a screen printer whose work I have loved for a few years.



His work often features hand drawn type and built up lines to form bold characters. His use of colour is amazing given the limitations the process. he must have a lot of experience with how colour combinations work and how to mix the colours he wants. His use of negative space is really interesting in both of these images. the bear in the bottom picture and the trails from the jetpack in the top image are both left the colour of the stock. I think working with this media for a long time has influenced the way he makes images. He often makes use of the rule of thirds and positions points of interest at the cross section of 2 thirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment