Wednesday 16 March 2016

Ella Fitzgerald


Researching Ella Fitzgerald has been amazing, she had a tough childhood to say the least. Her first breakthrough in singing was almost by chance when she entered a competition at the Apollo theatre and was planning to dance. She was so intimidated by a dance duo called the Edwards sisters who performed before her that she decided to sing instead. she won first prize of $25 and was supposed to perform at the theatre all week but they did not give her that part of her prize. It is thought that her appearance was too rough as she had been living on the streets.
She was criticised early in her musical career for making pop songs with no real musical merit but soon started to experiment more and work with a variety of other musicians and producers. Although not the first to do it she was one of the best known scat singers and widely thought to be the best to do it.
I would like to experiment with these sounds and look into ways I could make them into images or symbols.

Ella " I just tried to do what I heard the horns in the band doing."

Her scat song 'Flying Home' was described in the New York Times as "One of the most influential vocal jazz records of the decade."

I found a quote from Ella Fitzgerald from just before she died. She had been very ill and had spent time in hospital. It was recommended that she remain in hospital but she chose to spend her final days in sitting in the garden of her Beverly Hills house in the company of her son and granddaughter. She said "I just want to smell the air, listen to the birds and hear Alice laugh"






Although this was a sad time she was still positive and chose to be happy for the time she had left.

I would like to find a way to illustrate the sounds of that time she spent in the garden, the bird song and laughter. I could possibly draw the scene from her point of view so that she is not involved in it, showing how she had gone from the performer to lone audience member. I want to use the bird song and laughter as a connection to her scat song performances.





I found some illustrations by James Chapman that show animal noises and how they are interpreted in different languages. These different sounds could be useful when I make my images. I could maybe make the birds themselves out of the sounds they create.




Ella Fitzgerald's music was a symbol of the multi cultural communities that made up America at the time. If I can find bird song representations in different languages I could build up an image that reflects the communities that made up New York and America.

She was described by New York times columnist Frank Rich, he said Ella Fitzgerald "performed a cultural transaction as extraordinary as Elvis' contemporaneous integration of White and African American soul. Here was a Black woman popularising urban songs often written by immigrant Jews to a national audience of predominantly White Christians."

I want to try and create a beautiful and serene environment. I want to look at the work of Makoto Shinkai who created films such as '5 centimetres Per second' which features some amazingly detailed breath-taking scenery.





No comments:

Post a Comment