Friday 11 March 2016

Collage and Ephemera


I forgot to blog this work from an earlier task. I feel I rushed this task at the time and really did not make the most of the experience. I enjoyed using cut paper and collage and it has influenced my work on subsequent tasks. I like being able to overlap shapes and work in layers to explore how objects are placed within the composition. I wanted to make use of found images to improve my work but have not achieved this to a good level. I need to spend more time in the planning process to work like this so that I know what images and textures I will use in what order during the layering process. I found that I made up the bulk of the image too quickly and limited my options. I should have spent more time finding a larger variety of lettering to use to make up the text of the work (different sizes and fonts) although the image is made up of solid layers I need to work harder to make it appear is on finished piece. the lettering is entirely separate to the rest of the piece. I also need to experiment with mark making and drawing/painting onto the layers to add texture.


During the presentation we looked at work from a number of artists but I was drawn to the work of Joe Cruz. His work is a great example of using combinations of media to improve perfectly compliment each other. The compositions in terms of layering are not complicated but the positioning and colour of the marks added to photos highlight key parts of the image. Although the bright colours are clearly applied in a separate layer that stands out in front of the photo their placement creates harmonious a relationship between the two.


No comments:

Post a Comment