Saturday 5 March 2016

Greetings from... Tokyo Sneaker


i drew up some roughs for the Tokyo shoe  for the Atmos shop that seems to use camouflage patterns in a lot of its designs. Bape is another well known Japanese brand which also uses camouflage extensively throughout its product catalog. There seems to be a trend in Tokyo or even throughout Japan of using camo in design. i have researched Tokyo for this trainer design and struggled to come up with ideas that didn't seem to incorporate very obvious stereotypical signifiers of Japan.


I tried to mix the some of the more well known images associated with Tokyo with some lesser known ideas. I wanted to include a top down picture of a bowl of Ramen as i thought it would suit a crisp vectored illustration with bold colour and shape. I was searching for a way to communicate the cutting edge technology that Japan is famous for bu struggled to find anything that I thought would generate an interesting until i cam across some pictures of the Bullet train. the shape of the train makes a perfect sole for the shoe and showcases Japanese ingenuity. In this sketch the centre of the shoe is made from samurai armour and an image of Godzilla. I liked the image but the individual components weren't suitable for this project and would not have achieved the celebration of Tokyo.
I kept the cherry blossom tree and the water at the back of the shoe that is meant to pay homage to Japanese wood block prints.


I substituted the armour and after some more research decided use the Olympic logo as Tokyo is hosting the games in 2020. I added a camouflage pattern to the rings to resemble the use of camo in Japanese street fashion. i like this design, I think the different elements combine well and i have tried to make sure they keep their identity as separate objects. I will need to leave space around the shoe designs on the final postcards so that the form of the shoe is clear. when I originally exported this design there was not enough space around it and the design was confused and did not work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment